查看: 4004|回复: 18

[文字] 千年敬祈英语访问——访飞鸿及导演

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-8-19 19:35:42 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
转自:
http://www.quickstopentertainmen ... -faye-yu-interview/

重点采访飞鸿部分:

ACTRESS SPEAKS

Faye Yu (who also goes by Feihong Yu) was introduced to American audiences in The Joy Luck Club. Nearly fifteen years later, she reunited with director Wayne Wang for the larger role of Yilan in A Thousand Years of Good Prayers.

“When he tapped me for The Joy Luck Club, I was only a film student at the Beijing Film Academy. I met him out of the blue. It wasn’t really casting. I was doing my summer vacation in Shanghai. He was location scouting. I just ran into him. He thought I would be good for the role of Ying Ying, the younger mother back in the ’40s.”

There was a minor complication in her casting. While her scenes took place in China, they were being filmed in San Francisco. She had to leave her country.

“I was 19 years old. I’d never been out of the country. At that time it was very hard for me to get a visa. It took them three months.” The studio had to use plenty of political connections to make bring her to America. “By the time I got to San Francisco, they had been shooting for a month. They whole production was waiting for me.”

Wang was devoted in getting her to play the role. He could have gone with a second choice, but he stuck it out for her arrival.

“I really appreciated it,” she said. “Prior to that, I only met him once. In the Chinese way, we think it is a fate that brought us together. Interestingly I didn’t speak English at the time. I had an assistant to take care of me and translate for me.”

She didn’t immediately go Hollywood after her first major role.

“After The Joy Luck Club, I went back to Beijing to finish my school. I graduated and did two projects. I came to Los Angeles and tried to learn English. Then I went back (to China) again.

She taught at the Beijing Film Academy while continuing her acting career.

“By the time he called me up for A Thousand Years of Good Prayers, I was preparing my directorial debut. Out of the blue he called me up and thought I’d be proper for the role in A Thousand Years. My pre-production was busy. He said, ‘I only need four weeks. Can you take that time?’ At the time we were doing the artwork and design. I kind of managed to leave for four weeks to do the movie. That turned out to be a blast,” she said. “I have grown up in both in a personal way and professional way. He saw the changes in me and he really liked it.”

The small nature of the film allowed the actors a chance to really feel the material and the characters.

“We had a reading and we did everything in the script. On set he changed everything,” she said. “He had new ideas come out. We would leave the script and do things spontaneously. We had everything planned, but do something that we feel on set.

Henry O plays her father who is staying in her apartment in Spokane. O is best known for being one of the Buddhist monks on The Sopranos. He also has appeared in Rush Hour 3, Shanghai Noon and The Last Emperor. How did Yu react to her co-star?

“I immediately felt a bond with him as soon as I got on set. He’s very nice, lovely guy. He’s a very typical Chinese father type. He’s humble and polite. He doesn’t talk that much. He holds all his feelings to himself.

“Chinese parents express themselves much verbally. Within my family my father and mother never say, “I love you, baby.” We don’t say love the word that easily. But you can feel it in every way. The way they treat you shows how much they love you. I live in Beijing and my parents live in Hangzhou which is near Shanghai. Whenever I go visit them, my mother cooks and cooks as much as she can. She just wants to feed me. That’s just the way she shows her love. They feel like there’s nothing they can do more since you’ve grown up. We don’t much like hugging or saying ‘Love you so much.” You see it in their gesture. I can relate to this movie. The father and daughter have conflicts, but the love is mutual. No matter how far you go, no matter how many conflicts you have or conflict differences, you are always their baby.”

O has the supreme look of concern when his daughter doesn’t return as scheduled.

“In the film, the father has to know where she goes, who she sees and why she comes back late. The Americans wouldn’t understand it. In the Chinese way, the parents always think you’re a baby. You can grow up to 60 years old and you’re still a baby to them.”

Her time spent in Los Angeles learning English allowed her tap into the character who is living between two mindsets.

“All that experience helped a lot for me to play that character,” Yu said. “I can understand both cultures and understand the differences. That helped me to play a character caught in the middle of this conflict.”

Yu finds a deep truth in Yilan’s character when it comes to speaking English for what can’t get said in Chinese.

“She never learned to express her feelings in her own language because of the culture. Unlike the character, I’m very close to my parents. But we don’t express much of our personal feelings to each other,” she said. “I don’t talk to my parents about being in love with this one or broke up with this one. It doesn’t mean we don’t love each other. So the character in the movie said that she learned feeling to express in English. I do feel that a little bit.”

She also found that there’s other things she can express only in English.
“I never curse in Chinese,” she said. “When I curse in English, I don’t feel like it’s a curse. I say it with more feeling, even dirty words. If I say the f-word in Chinese, it wouldn’t be proper for me. But when I say the f-word in English, I don’t feel that strange.”

What did the actress feel about her month in Spokane? “Spokane is different from L.A. It makes you think back to the early days of America.” Was there a Chinese community in the city? “We were able to find a couple Chinese restaurants, but we didn’t see a large Chinese population there.

Yu returned to China in time to start production of her film.

“I just finished the post-production and it’s going to be released in August in China. It’s called Eternal Beloved. That’s the English title, but it’ll be different in Chinese. It’s an epic love story about two young people, reincarnation, loves in previous lives and after life.

Her time with Wayne Wang has proven to be helpful in giving her tools to work on a set.

“His input influenced me a lot,” Yu said. “I’m really glad that I had a time to come out and do that film with him prior to my directing job. His concentration, his way of directing and communicating with actors and film crews was sort of a pre-education thing for me. He’s almost a mentor to me. When I came back to China to do the film, I remembered how he did that work.”

One of the curious elements of the film is how short the names above the title are with O and Yu as the stars. “We have easy last names,” she said.

She’s not related to Ronnie Yu, the director of Bride with White Hair and Bride of Chucky. Do people in China wonder about them being related?

“It’s pronounced the same, but we have different characters. My Yu is quite rare,” she declared.

A Thousand Years of Good Prayer and The Princess of Nebraska are currently available as double DVD set from Magnolia Home Entertainment.
 楼主| 发表于 2009-8-19 19:43:28 | 显示全部楼层
飞鸿是在爱有来生前期的时候,抽4个星期的时间去了美国拍千年敬祈啊!

飞鸿的英语真的好好啊!

原来王颖对于飞鸿拍摄爱有来生也有启迪啊!
Her time with Wayne Wang has proven to be helpful in giving her tools to work on a set.
发表于 2009-8-19 19:43:36 | 显示全部楼层
哇,好长的英文……呼唤谁来翻译
发表于 2009-8-19 22:13:48 | 显示全部楼层

翻译版~~~

俞飞鸿凭借电影《喜福会》被美国观众所知。十五年后,她再次与导演王颖合作,出演《千年敬祈》中最重要的角色,宜兰。

“他请我演《喜福会》的时候,我只是北京电影学院的一个学生。遇到他在我的意料之外,并不是真正的选角。当时我放暑假在上海,他在拍外景(选景?location scouting)他碰巧遇见我,认为我适合扮演“盈盈”,影片中一位母亲在40年代,年轻的时候。
确定她出演(casting,选角)的过程有点复杂,尽管她的(故事的)场景在中国,电影则在旧金山拍摄。她必须出国。

“我那时19岁,从来没出过国门。当时取得签证很难,花了3个月才办成。”剧组(studio,摄影棚)不得不通关系(political connection)让她去美国。“我到达旧金山的时候,他们已经拍摄了一个月了。整个拍摄进度都等着我。”

王颖尽全力让她出演这个角色,他本来可以用别的人选,但是他坚持等到俞飞鸿的抵达。

“我真的非常感激,”她说,“在那之前我只见过他一次。用中国人的说法,我们之间有缘份。有趣的是当时我还不会说英语。所以,有一个助理(被安排)照顾我,帮我做翻译。”

完成了她第一个主演的角色之后,她并没有立刻去好莱坞。

“拍完《喜福会》我回到北京完成学业。我毕业之后还做了两个项目(? project)后来我去洛杉矶学英文,之后又回到中国。

她在北京电影学院任教,并且继续演员生涯。

“当王颖导演打电话给我,让我出演《千年敬祈》的时候,我在准备首次执导的电影。很意外地他打电话给我,说他认为我适合演这个角色。我的前期准备工作很忙。他说‘我只需要四个星期,你能抽出这点时间吗?’那时,我们在设计图纸(artwork)我可以说是想方设法地离开了四个星期拍这部电影。没想到带给我很大的惊喜(???blast,一阵风,气流,爆炸,冲击波)”她说,“我在个人和专业方面都成熟了,他看到了我的改变,并且很欣赏这种改变。”

这部小制作的电影(? the small nature of the film)让演员们有机会认真地体会它的素材和角色。

“我们读了剧本,并且做了所有能做的准备。但是到了现场(on set)他做了很多修改,”她说,“他有了新的想法。我们可以脱离剧本,自然地表演。虽然之前做了准备,但是我们依据现场的感受表演。”

“在影片中,这位父亲一定要知道女儿去了哪儿,见了谁,几点回家。(在哪儿跟谁干嘛~~)美国人很难理解这种想法。但在中国的父母看来,孩子永远是孩子。你就算到了六十岁还是他们的孩子。”

她在洛杉矶学英语的经历使她能够体会这个角色身处于两种不同的思维方式(mindset)中的处境。

“留学经历在扮演这个角色的时候给了我很大帮助。”俞飞鸿说,“我能够理解两种文化,以及其中的差异。这种经历帮助我演好这个陷入文化冲突的角色。”

俞飞鸿在宜兰这个角色身上看到了非常写实的一面,(finds a deep truth),她能够用英文表达出很多她无法用中文表达的意思。

“由于文化的原因,她从来没有学会怎样用母语表达自己的感受。和这个角色不同,我和父母之间很亲密。但是我们也不会互相表达个人感受,”她说,“比如我从来不和我父母说自己爱上了某人或者和某人分手。这不能说明我们不爱对方。所以,电影里的这个角色说自己在英文中学会了表达,我能够体会。”

除此之外,她也发现了一些只能用英语表达的意思。
“我从来不用中文骂人,”她说,“当我用英语骂人的时候,我没觉得这是在骂人。我说这些话带有更多的感情,而不仅仅是脏话。用中文说***,对我来说不太妥当。但是我用英文说***的时候不会觉得那么怪。

这位演员对于她在Spokane度过的一个月有什么看法呢?

“Spokane和旧金山非常不同。它让你会想到早些年的美国。”那里有没有华人社区呢?

“我们找到了几家中国餐馆,不过没有发现大量的华人。”

俞飞鸿回到中国之后开始拍摄自己的电影。

“我刚刚完成了后期制作,电影将会在八月底在中国上映。它叫《爱有来生》。英文名字是Eternal Beloved,但用中文表达会有些不同。它讲述一对年轻人之间史诗般的爱情故事,经历投胎转世,在今生和来世的恋情。”

事实证明,在王颖身边的日子,对于她在片场起到很大帮助。(???be helpful in giving her tools on a set)

“他带给我很多影响,”俞飞鸿说,“我很庆幸花了一段时间在创作自己的电影之前,参与他的影片拍摄。他的专注,他导演的方式,和演员、剧组工作人员交流的方式,对我来说是一种提前学习。当我回国拍电影的时候,我会想起他是怎么做的。”

《千年敬祈》有一个古怪的元素,就是在标题上打上O和YU作为主演姓名。
“我们的姓氏很简单,”她说。

她和《白发魔女传》、《鬼娃新娘》(《Bride of Chucky》)的导演于仁泰 (Ronnie Yu)没有关系。中国观众会觉得他们之间有联系么?

“这两个姓的发音相同,但是写法不同。我的‘俞’比较少见。”她宣称。
发表于 2009-8-19 22:24:59 | 显示全部楼层
俞这个姓很少见吗?
哈哈,我每次看到这个姓的人都很激动……
哎,我英语不好,完全无法体会在另一种语言中偷生的感觉

叶暮好速度啊
发表于 2009-8-19 22:51:39 | 显示全部楼层
也许是对于外国人来说很少见吧?

在另一种语言中偷生,我和我舍友讨论过这个问题。
她说,有时候中文被她赋予了她特定的含义,所以和别人交流的时候会带上很浓烈的主观情怀,而如果用英文的话可以很好的表达她的意思而不会被误解。
发表于 2009-8-19 23:22:14 | 显示全部楼层
偷生两个字,是我看评论看来评价千年敬祈的,不是我自己说的……
这两字很可怕
发表于 2009-8-20 02:03:45 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 paopaolaile 于 2009-8-19 19:35 发表

She also found that there’s other things she can express only in English.
“I never curse in Chinese,” she said. “When I curse in English, I don’t feel like it’s a curse. I say it with more feeling, even dirty words. If I say the f-word in Chinese, it wouldn’t be proper for me. But when I say the f-word in English, I don’t feel that strange.”

這段好啊!完全同意!

PS 感謝分享&葉暮同學的翻譯~!
发表于 2014-4-12 01:16:44 | 显示全部楼层
那部片子看了,还是不错的
发表于 2014-4-12 07:58:42 | 显示全部楼层
终于看到中文版的了,谢谢叶暮。
发表于 2014-4-14 23:55:39 | 显示全部楼层
wanzi 发表于 2009-8-20 02:03
這段好啊!完全同意!

PS 感謝分享&葉暮同學的翻譯~!

在这居然见到了B大人的粉啊,好亲切的头像和签名
发表于 2014-4-15 11:24:10 | 显示全部楼层
鸿笺小字 发表于 2009-8-19 22:24
俞这个姓很少见吗?
哈哈,我每次看到这个姓的人都很激动……
哎,我英语不好,完全无法体会在另一种语言 ...

有一次我给留学中介打电话咨询点问题,结果结束后给我发了一条短信,她的名字叫于飞鸿......我当时石化了......纳尼!
发表于 2014-4-15 11:31:37 | 显示全部楼层
英语好棒啊!!!才女!美女!女神~经~各种气质集于一身~~~love~~~
发表于 2014-4-15 18:54:16 | 显示全部楼层
Rebecca莹莹 发表于 2014-4-15 11:31
英语好棒啊!!!才女!美女!女神~经~各种气质集于一身~~~love~~~

看来我们都需要学英语了~Come on 莹莹姐 我们来学英语~~
发表于 2014-5-13 09:26:01 | 显示全部楼层
膜拜学霸飞哥。。。好好用英语
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

手机版|在水人家·俞飞鸿影迷会 ( 沪ICP备08004865号

GMT+8, 2017-12-18 08:50